How to Submit a Complaint or Commendation

How to File a Complaint

Per LA State Law 14:133.5, filing a false complaint against a law enforcement officer is knowingly filing, by affidavit is under oath, a false statement or false representation with a law enforcement agency regarding the conduct, job performance, or behavior of a law enforcement officer for the purpose of initiating an administrative action against that law enforcement officer.

The core values of integrity and professionalism define our character and guide our interactions. We operate on the principle that all persons we deal with deserve to be treated equally and fairly. Therefore, we welcome both criticism and praise and take it seriously. You have the right to make a complaint against a deputy for any improper police conduct.

The TPSO's Internal Management Office is responsible for ensuring that the integrity of the department is maintained through an internal system where objectivity, fairness, and justice are assured. Internal Management conducts impartial investigations and reviews all allegations of member misconduct or accusations against the department.

Complaints against the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office or its members may be made by phone, by letter/email, or in person. We also accept anonymous complaints.

Formal complaints against sheriff's deputies are accepted in writing and signed by the person making the complaint. You may make an appointment with Internal Management Office to arrange the complete process. Just as citizens who are arrested must be notified of charges against them, our deputies must also be notified and provided a copy of the complaint prior to any potential employment action.

This agency may find after investigation that there is not enough evidence to warrant action on your complaint. Even if that is the case, you have the right to make the complaint and have it investigated if you believe an officer behaved improperly.

The department does not accept complaints later than 30 days from the date of the incident related to the complaint, with the exception to very special cases such as criminal misconduct, or when good cause can be shown that making the complaint sooner was not possible or practical. Formal complaints must be made by a person who "has standing" (i.e., the actual recipient of the alleged misconduct, a person who witnesses an unlawful act by a deputy, or parents/guardians making complaints on behalf of minors).

The Internal Management Office does not accept complaints in regard to the guilt or innocence of defendants in traffic ticket cases and/or criminal offenses. Those matters are reserved to the judgment of the proper judicial court adjudication.

You may file a complaint in person at either of our offices listed below. We value your input.

TPSO - Hammond Location:
15475 W. Club Deluxe Rd., Hammond, LA 70403 - (985) 345-6150

TPSO - Amite Location
313 East Oak St., Amite, LA, 70422 - (985) 748-8147